Thursday, December 02, 2004

Introduction

You've seen it elsewhere: here, and here, and here, and here, and a dozen other places. Some them are talking about a planetary dieoff in the billions.

I don't think so.

Oil's running out. Our politicians, the energy companies, and the oil-exporting countries all would hope we don't talk about it, or better still, didn't know about it. We're in for a hell of a ride, but the problems aren't insurmountable.

I hope.

Those two words form the basis of this blog, the idea that industrial civilization is not only worth saving, but amounts to the most humane, just, and just plain fun society ever invented. We have strippers, Vegas, newspapers, Disney World, baseball, and reality TV on our side; they have the slow, gruesome death of seven-eighths of the planet. With this blog, I aim to stake out a position between what ASPO calls the "flat-earth economists" and the paranoiacs in the ranks of the millennialist Greens. By no means am I convinced we'll come out of this alive; the millennialists are right in that we spend a lot of oil making and distributing food. The question, then, is whether we can find ways around that fact in time to prevent one of the biggest, most obviously avoidable catastrophes in human history.

I also plan on moving my various and sundry political rants off my principally baseball blog, because it just doesn't work well (despite what Baseball Crank might perceive, it's actually a toxic mix). I don't think this blog will get as much attention as my baseball blog does, but I do hope to get some stories highlighted herein.

God bless us, every one.